I recently went through a forty day sugar fast (which was amazing for me…you can read more about it here). The official fast is over now. And I’m not going to lie…two days after the end of the fast I had a large Coke from McDonalds and it was AMAZING. And every now I sneak a bite of chocolate from my mommy candy stash.
But for the most part, I’ve kept going with the fast. I’m feeling good. I’m not craving sweets. I know I can live without them now. I don’t want to go back to the bondage of that stinking sugar addiction.
If you know me, you may know that I’m a snacker. I LOVE to snack. So the main problem I had to overcome physically during the fast was finding new snacks that are healthy (well, healthier) and not loaded with sugar. And that were quick and easy and didn’t require loads of weird ingredients. I don’t do stevia .
(A note: I felt led to this fast because of my addiction to pastries and Little Debbie’s. I am not a nutrition expert, nor do I care to be. I’m not a food purist. I just want to eat better. I have no problem with natural sugars from fruit and natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup. But that’s just me and what I feel led to do. Everyone’s different!)
So here’s my list of the top ten EASY snacks I rely on when trying to avoid sugary sweets:
- Popcorn. If I can keep my kids from hogging it all. They’re little popcorn vultures.
- Homemade granola. My favorite to make and eat is cranberry nut granola – it’s perfect as a snack or as cereal in the morning.
- Chips with salsa or guacamole. Hello, lover.
- Black bean hummus with pita chips or veggies. Have you ever had black bean hummus? IN.MY.BELLY.
- Cheese slices or cubes. We looooooooove Tillamook’s colby jack cheese from Sam’s Club.
- Fresh, frozen, dried, canned…it’s all fine with me.
- Apple slices with natural peanut butter (no added sugar!). Quick, easy, satisfying.
- Hard boiled eggs. God bless our six hens, out there in the cold, faithfully laying eggs.
- Specifically, Pringles salt and vinegar. Just keeping it real here.
- String cheese wrapped in hard salami or prosciutto. This is my go-to snack on days when I have to go to the Big City for a major shopping excursion. The best.
What are some of your favorite snacks?